Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Recent Buys --- SO & MO


Today I added so high yielders to my portfolio.







  • SO:  40 shares @ $49.53 --- Yield  4.52%
  • MO:  35 shares @ $61.24 --- Yield  3.98%

Total capital invested is $4138.50 and the combined yield is 4.15%. These purchases will increase my yearly dividends by $171.80.

I already own 50 shares of SO and I thought the recent pullback would be a nice time to add a few more shares.

While I didn't have MO in my portfolio this year, I have owned shares in the past. It's hard to say if the shares are cheap, but I do know that this company rarely gives excellent buying opportunities. In fact, both the price and dividends appear to go straight up over time. If the yield gets close to 5%, I could see myself adding 200 shares immediately.

I was also closely watching T, VZ, and GIS. I would love to add shares all of these companies to my portfolio. On the lower yielding side of the pond, NKE and GILD are looking interesting.

Forward dividends are around $4250.

DEFY MEDIOCRITY

6 comments:

  1. So you took advantage of SO as you mentioned. Nice pick up. It's come down in recent months and is sporting a very attractive yield. The payout ratio is in line for a typical utility. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DivHut,

      The company seems ok right now. If it dropped down to $45 I wouldn't be surprised. Conversely it could just as easily pop back up to the mid $50s.

      MDP

      Delete
  2. I'm also buying SO for my RRSP. I think it's a great long-term hold and I hope to own a few hundred shares by this time next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MOA,

      Thanks for stopping by! I'm almost to 100 shares and would like to reach 250 to 300 shares myself. Strong yield with slow steady yearly growth is great!

      MDP

      Delete
  3. Got myself some MO too and considered between MO and T. But I think that T will drop a bit more and the yield will go over 5%

    ReplyDelete